Introduction to SWOT Analysis
SWOT Analysis / TOWS Matrix for CPFL ENERGIAON NM (Brazil)
Based on various researches at Oak Spring University , CPFL ENERGIAON NM is operating in a macro-environment that has been destablized by – increasing household debt because of falling income levels, increasing commodity prices, central banks are concerned over increasing inflation, increasing energy prices, customer relationship management is fast transforming because of increasing concerns over data privacy, talent flight as more people leaving formal jobs, geopolitical disruptions,
there is increasing trade war between United States & China, competitive advantages are harder to sustain because of technology dispersion, etc
- 100% Plagiarism Free
- On Time Delivery | 27x7
- PayPal Secure
- 300 Words / Page
- 100% Plagiarism Free
- On Time Delivery | 27x7
- PayPal Secure
- 300 Words / Page
- 100% Plagiarism Free
- On Time Delivery | 27x7
- PayPal Secure
- 300 Words / Page
Introduction to SWOT Analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM
SWOT stands for an organization’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats . At Oak Spring University, we believe that CPFL ENERGIAON NM can use SWOT analysis as a strategic management tool to assess the current internal strengths and weaknesses of the CPFL ENERGIAON NM, and to figure out the opportunities and threats in the macro environment – technological, environmental, political, economic, social, demographic, etc in which CPFL ENERGIAON NM operates in.
According to Harvard Business Review, 75% of the managers use SWOT analysis for various purposes such as – evaluating current scenario, strategic planning, new venture feasibility, personal growth goals, new market entry, Go To market strategies, portfolio management and strategic trade-off assessment, organizational restructuring, etc.
SWOT Objectives / Importance of SWOT Analysis and SWOT Matrix
SWOT analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM can be done for the following purposes –
1. Strategic planning of CPFL ENERGIAON NM
2. Improving business portfolio management of CPFL ENERGIAON NM
3. Assessing feasibility of the new initiative in Brazil
4. Making a Electric Utilities sector specific business decision
5. Set goals for the organization
6. Organizational restructuring of CPFL ENERGIAON NM
Strengths of CPFL ENERGIAON NM | Internal Strategic Factors
What are Strengths in SWOT Analysis / TOWS Matrix / Weighted SWOT Analysis
The strengths of CPFL ENERGIAON NM are -
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM is putting a lot of focus on utilizing the power of analytics in business decision making. This has put it among the leading players in the Electric Utilities industry. The technology infrastructure of Brazil is also helping it to harness the power of analytics for – marketing optimization, demand forecasting, customer relationship management, inventory management, information sharing across the value chain etc.
Highly skilled collaborators
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM has highly efficient outsourcing and offshoring strategy. It has resulted in greater operational flexibility and bringing down the costs in highly price sensitive Electric Utilities industry. Secondly the value chain collaborators of CPFL ENERGIAON NM have helped the firm to develop new products and bring them quickly to the marketplace.
Digital Transformation in Electric Utilities industry
- digital transformation varies from industry to industry. For CPFL ENERGIAON NM digital transformation journey comprises differing goals based on market maturity, customer technology acceptance, and organizational culture. CPFL ENERGIAON NM has successfully integrated the four key components of digital transformation – digital integration in processes, digital integration in marketing and customer relationship management, digital integration into the value chain, and using technology to explore new products and market opportunities.
Superior customer experience
– The customer experience strategy of CPFL ENERGIAON NM in Electric Utilities industry is based on four key concepts – personalization, simplification of complex needs, prompt response, and continuous engagement.
Ability to recruit top talent
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM is one of the leading players in the Electric Utilities industry in Brazil. It is in a position to attract the best talent available in Brazil. The firm has a robust talent identification program that helps in identifying the brightest.
High switching costs
– The high switching costs that CPFL ENERGIAON NM has built up over years in its products and services combo offer has resulted in high retention of customers, lower marketing costs, and greater ability of the firm to focus on its customers.
Innovation driven organization
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM is one of the most innovative firm in Electric Utilities sector.
– The operational resilience strategy of CPFL ENERGIAON NM comprises – understanding the underlying the factors in the Electric Utilities industry, building diversified operations across different geographies so that disruption in one part of the world doesn’t impact the overall performance of the firm, and integrating the various business operations and processes through its digital transformation drive.
Diverse revenue streams
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM is present in almost all the verticals within the Electric Utilities industry. This has provided CPFL ENERGIAON NM a diverse revenue stream that has helped it to survive disruptions such as global pandemic in Covid-19, financial disruption of 2008, and supply chain disruption of 2021.
Effective Research and Development (R&D)
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM has innovation driven culture where significant part of the revenues are spent on the research and development activities. This has resulted in – CPFL ENERGIAON NM staying ahead in the Electric Utilities industry in terms of – new product launches, superior customer experience, highly competitive pricing strategies, and great returns to the shareholders.
Strong track record of project management in the Electric Utilities industry
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM is known for sticking to its project targets. This enables the firm to manage – time, project costs, and have sustainable margins on the projects.
Low bargaining power of suppliers
– Suppliers of CPFL ENERGIAON NM in the Utilities sector have low bargaining power. CPFL ENERGIAON NM has further diversified its suppliers portfolio by building a robust supply chain across various countries. This helps CPFL ENERGIAON NM to manage not only supply disruptions but also source products at highly competitive prices.
Weaknesses of CPFL ENERGIAON NM | Internal Strategic Factors
What are Weaknesses in SWOT Analysis / TOWS Matrix / Weighted SWOT Analysis
The weaknesses of CPFL ENERGIAON NM are -
Aligning sales with marketing
– From the outside it seems that CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to have more collaboration between its sales team and marketing team. Sales professionals in the Electric Utilities industry have deep experience in developing customer relationships. Marketing department at CPFL ENERGIAON NM can leverage the sales team experience to cultivate customer relationships as CPFL ENERGIAON NM is planning to shift buying processes online.
No frontier risks strategy
– From the 10K / annual statement of CPFL ENERGIAON NM, it seems that company is thinking out the frontier risks that can impact Electric Utilities industry. But it has very little resources allocation to manage the risks emerging from events such as natural disasters, climate change, melting of permafrost, tacking the rise of artificial intelligence, opportunities and threats emerging from commercialization of space etc.
Increasing silos among functional specialists
– The organizational structure of CPFL ENERGIAON NM is dominated by functional specialists. It is not different from other players in the Electric Utilities industry, but CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to de-silo the office environment to harness the true potential of its workforce. Secondly the de-silo will also help CPFL ENERGIAON NM to focus more on services in the Electric Utilities industry rather than just following the product oriented approach.
High dependence on existing supply chain
– The disruption in the global supply chains because of the Covid-19 pandemic and blockage of the Suez Canal illustrated the fragile nature of CPFL ENERGIAON NM supply chain. Even after few cautionary changes, CPFL ENERGIAON NM is still heavily dependent upon the existing supply chain. The existing supply chain though brings in cost efficiencies but it has left CPFL ENERGIAON NM vulnerable to further global disruptions in South East Asia.
Need for greater diversity
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM has taken concrete steps on diversity, equity, and inclusion. But the efforts so far has resulted in limited success. It needs to expand the recruitment and selection process to hire more people from the minorities and underprivileged background.
High operating costs
– Compare to the competitors, CPFL ENERGIAON NM has high operating costs in the Electric Utilities industry. This can be harder to sustain given the new emerging competition from nimble players who are using technology to attract CPFL ENERGIAON NM lucrative customers.
– Compare to the competition, CPFL ENERGIAON NM has borrowed money from the capital market at higher rates. It needs to restructure the interest payment and costs so that it can compete better and improve profitability.
High cash cycle compare to competitors
CPFL ENERGIAON NM has a high cash cycle compare to other players in the Electric Utilities industry. It needs to shorten the cash cycle by 12% to be more competitive in the marketplace, reduce inventory costs, and be more profitable.
Capital Spending Reduction
– Even during the low interest decade, CPFL ENERGIAON NM has not been able to do capital spending to the tune of the competition. This has resulted into fewer innovations and company facing stiff competition from both existing competitors and new entrants who are disrupting the Electric Utilities industry using digital technology.
Slow decision making process
– As mentioned earlier in the report, CPFL ENERGIAON NM has a very deliberative decision making approach. This approach has resulted in prudent decisions, but it has also resulted in missing opportunities in the Electric Utilities industry over the last five years. CPFL ENERGIAON NM even though has strong showing on digital transformation primary two stages, it has struggled to capitalize the power of digital transformation in marketing efforts and new venture efforts.
Slow to harness new channels of communication
– Even though competitors are using new communication channels such as Instagram, Tiktok, and Snap, CPFL ENERGIAON NM is slow explore the new channels of communication. These new channels of communication can help CPFL ENERGIAON NM to provide better information regarding Electric Utilities products and services. It can also build an online community to further reach out to potential customers.
CPFL ENERGIAON NM Opportunities | External Strategic Factors
What are Opportunities in the SWOT Analysis / TOWS Matrix / Weighted SWOT Analysis
The opportunities of CPFL ENERGIAON NM are -
Lowering marketing communication costs
– 5G expansion will open new opportunities for CPFL ENERGIAON NM in the field of marketing communication. It will bring down the cost of doing business, provide technology platform to build new products in the Electric Utilities industry, and it will provide faster access to the consumers.
Redefining models of collaboration and team work
– As explained in the weaknesses section, CPFL ENERGIAON NM is facing challenges because of the dominance of functional experts in the organization. CPFL ENERGIAON NM can utilize new technology in the field of Electric Utilities industry to build more coordinated teams and streamline operations and communications using tools such as CAD, Zoom, etc.
Remote work and new talent hiring opportunities
– The widespread usage of remote working technologies during Covid-19 has opened opportunities for CPFL ENERGIAON NM to expand its talent hiring zone. According to McKinsey Global Institute, 20% of the high end workforce in fields such as finance, information technology, can continously work from remote local post Covid-19. This presents a really great opportunity for CPFL ENERGIAON NM to hire the very best people irrespective of their geographical location.
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM has focused on building a highly responsive customer relationship management platform. This platform is built on in-house data and driven by analytics and artificial intelligence. The customer analytics can help the organization to fine tune its loyalty marketing efforts, increase the wallet share of the organization, reduce wastage on mainstream advertising spending, build better pricing strategies using personalization, etc.
Increase in government spending
– As the United States and other governments are increasing social spending and infrastructure spending to build economies post Covid-19, CPFL ENERGIAON NM can use these opportunities to build new business models that can help the communities that CPFL ENERGIAON NM operates in. Secondly it can use opportunities from government spending in Electric Utilities sector.
Developing new processes and practices
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM can develop new processes and procedures in Electric Utilities industry using technology such as automation using artificial intelligence, real time transportation and products tracking, 3D modeling for concept development and new products pilot testing etc.
Buying journey improvements
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM can improve the customer journey of consumers in the Electric Utilities industry by using analytics and artificial intelligence. It can provide automated chats to help consumers solve their own problems, provide online suggestions to get maximum out of the products and services, and help consumers to build a community where they can interact with each other to develop new features and uses.
Leveraging digital technologies
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM can leverage digital technologies such as artificial intelligence and machine learning to automate the production process, customer analytics to get better insights into consumer behavior, realtime digital dashboards to get better sales tracking, logistics and transportation, product tracking, etc.
Use of Bitcoin and other crypto currencies for transactions in Electric Utilities industry
– The popularity of Bitcoin and other crypto currencies as asset class and medium of transaction has opened new opportunities for CPFL ENERGIAON NM in the Electric Utilities industry. Now CPFL ENERGIAON NM can target international markets with far fewer capital restrictions requirements than the existing system.
Identify volunteer opportunities
– Covid-19 has impacted working population in two ways – it has led to people soul searching about their professional choices, resulting in mass resignation. Secondly it has encouraged people to do things that they are passionate about. This has opened opportunities for businesses to build volunteer oriented socially driven projects. CPFL ENERGIAON NM can explore opportunities that can attract volunteers and are consistent with its mission and vision.
Harnessing reconfiguration of the global supply chains
– As the trade war between US and China heats up in the coming years, CPFL ENERGIAON NM can build a diversified supply chain model across various countries in - South East Asia, India, and other parts of the world. This reconfiguration of global supply chain can help CPFL ENERGIAON NM to buy more products closer to the markets, and it can leverage its size and influence to get better deal from the local markets.
Better consumer reach
– The expansion of the 5G network will help CPFL ENERGIAON NM to increase its market reach. CPFL ENERGIAON NM will be able to reach out to new customers. Secondly 5G will also provide technology framework to build new tools and products that can help more immersive consumer experience and faster consumer journey.
Finding new ways to collaborate
– Covid-19 has not only transformed business models of companies in Electric Utilities industry, but it has also influenced the consumer preferences. CPFL ENERGIAON NM can tie-up with other value chain partners to explore new opportunities regarding meeting customer demands and building a rewarding and engaging relationship.
Threats CPFL ENERGIAON NM External Strategic Factors
What are Threats in the SWOT Analysis / TOWS Matrix / Weighted SWOT Analysis
The threats of CPFL ENERGIAON NM are -
– As the populations of most advanced economies are aging, it will lead to high social security costs, higher savings among population, and lower demand for goods and services in the economy. The household savings in US, France, UK, Germany, and Japan are growing faster than predicted because of uncertainty caused by pandemic.
High dependence on third party suppliers
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM high dependence on third party suppliers can disrupt its processes and delivery mechanism. For example -the current troubles of car makers because of chip shortage is because the chip companies started producing chips for electronic companies rather than car manufacturers.
Shortening product life cycle
– it is one of the major threat that CPFL ENERGIAON NM is facing in Electric Utilities sector. It can lead to higher research and development costs, higher marketing expenses, lower customer loyalty, etc.
Trade war between China and United States
– The trade war between two of the biggest economies can hugely impact the opportunities for CPFL ENERGIAON NM in Electric Utilities industry. The Electric Utilities industry is already at various protected from local competition in China, with the rise of trade war the protection levels may go up. This presents a clear threat of current business model in Chinese market.
Technology acceleration in Forth Industrial Revolution
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM has witnessed rapid integration of technology during Covid-19 in the Electric Utilities industry. As one of the leading players in the industry, CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to keep up with the evolution of technology in the Electric Utilities sector. According to Mckinsey study top managers believe that the adoption of technology in operations, communications is 20-25 times faster than what they planned in the beginning of 2019.
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to prepare for regulatory challenges as consumer protection groups and other pressure groups are vigorously advocating for more regulations on big business - to reduce inequality, to create a level playing field, to product data privacy and consumer privacy, to reduce the influence of big money on democratic institutions, etc. This can lead to significant changes in the Electric Utilities industry regulations.
Consumer confidence and its impact on CPFL ENERGIAON NM demand
– There is a high probability of declining consumer confidence, given – high inflammation rate, rise of gig economy, lower job stability, increasing cost of living, higher interest rates, and aging demography. All the factors contribute to people saving higher rate of their income, resulting in lower consumer demand in Electric Utilities industry and other sectors.
Technology disruption because of hacks, piracy etc
– The colonial pipeline illustrated, how vulnerable modern organization are to international hackers, miscreants, and disruptors. The cyber security interruption, data leaks, etc can seriously jeopardize the future growth of the organization.
Easy access to finance
– Easy access to finance in Electric Utilities industry will also reduce the barriers to entry in the industry, thus putting downward pressure on the prices because of increasing competition. CPFL ENERGIAON NM can utilize it by borrowing at lower rates and invest it into research and development, capital expenditure to fortify its core competitive advantage.
High level of anxiety and lack of motivation
– the Great Resignation in United States is the sign of broader dissatisfaction among the workforce in United States. CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to understand the core reasons impacting the Electric Utilities industry. This will help it in building a better workplace.
Increasing international competition and downward pressure on margins
– Apart from technology driven competitive advantage dilution, CPFL ENERGIAON NM can face downward pressure on margins from increasing competition from international players. The international players have stable revenue in their home market and can use those resources to penetrate CPFL ENERGIAON NM prominent markets.
– CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to have a robust strategy against the disruptions arising from climate change and energy requirements. EU has identified it as key priority area and spending 30% of its 880 billion Euros European post Covid-19 recovery funds on green technology. CPFL ENERGIAON NM can take advantage of this fund but it will also bring new competitors in the Electric Utilities industry.
Increasing wage structure of CPFL ENERGIAON NM
– Post Covid-19 there is a sharp increase in the wages especially in the jobs that require interaction with people. The increasing wages can put downward pressure on the margins of CPFL ENERGIAON NM.
Weighted SWOT Analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM Template, Example
Not all factors mentioned under the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats quadrants in the SWOT Analysis are equal. Managers at CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to zero down on the relative importance of each factor mentioned in the Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats quadrants.
We can provide the relative importance to each factor by assigning relative weights. Weighted SWOT analysis process is a three stage process –
First stage for doing weighted SWOT analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM is to rank the strengths and weaknesses of the organization. This will help you to assess the most important strengths and weaknesses of the firm and which one of the strengths and weaknesses mentioned in the initial lists are marginal and can be left out.
Second stage for conducting weighted SWOT analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM is to give probabilities to the external strategic factors thus better understanding the opportunities and threats arising out of macro environment changes and developments.
Third stage of constructing weighted SWOT analysis of CPFL ENERGIAON NM to provide strategic recommendations includes – joining likelihood of external strategic factors such as opportunities and threats to the internal strategic factors – strengths and weaknesses. You should start with external factors as they will provide the direction of the overall industry. Secondly by joining probabilities with internal strategic factors can help the company not only strategic fit but also the most probably strategic trade-off that CPFL ENERGIAON NM needs to make to build a sustainable competitive advantage.